2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Friday, July 25, 2008

but...

Before I took off for Washington, Laura and I went out for dinner and a movie together. We ate at a delightful little Italian restaurant and watched Get Smart afterward. I needed some laughs as I felt rather apprehensive about flying off to the unknown in Washington and the movie provided just that. The show was something that my siblings and I watched after school growing up. While the movie was updated to fit the 21st century, enough of the original television show was left to carry the theme forward.

I picked up on one line that struck me as something God might be whispering in my ear right now. It seems strange to catch that out of a funny movie, but it lingered in my head as a phrase that I needed to hear:

I am very proud of you, but I need you where you are. -- The Chief to Agent 86 --

This was a disappointment to Agent 86 who wanted to move forward and away from a boring job. It is a disappointment for me because of my discontentment with this unemployed place in life. The "but" of these situations lies in a reason and purpose to where Agent 86 was and where I am. Agent 86 was gifted and invaluable at his boring job. I know my time hasn't come to move forward into a career yet, or I would be there. For some reason, I am either learning something, or I'm exemplifying something to someone else, or gaining knowledge and understanding for later in life, or my place and circumstances are still being prepared, or I am still being prepared. This phrase in the movie was a simple reminder that my life is not being wasted. I exist in this particular place and time for a reason that is beyond my scope of understanding.

Answer me quickly, Lord; my spirit fails. Do not hide your face from me or I will be like those who go down to the pit. Let the morning bring me word of your unfailing love, for I have put my trust in you. Show me the way I should go for to you I entrust my life. -- Psalm 143:7-9 --

No comments: