2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Monday, July 14, 2008

chasing light

Last evening turned beautiful when the temperatures dropped as the sun started sinking. I decided to take a walk with my camera and "chase the light" in a nearby park. I enjoyed an amazingly peaceful time.

I experimented with my camera a bit. Sadly, most of the photos did not turn out as I had hoped, while a few unexpectedly surprised me. Two of them are posted here. The first is a picture of me doing something I did, mostly as a child: I examined the grass; looked at the blades and then poked around at the roots to the soil below. Sometimes I'd see little critters like ants or worms, but mostly I was impressed by what a tiny little infrastructure operates down there. Then I'd turn over and look at the sky and think about how incredible it is that the tiny parts of this earth are part of the bigger world we live in; a creative masterpiece by God. In reflection, I can't believe that my small child's mind came to such big conclusions! Now, I often see myself as one blade of grass in a field; just a pinprick on earth. I see God using tiny me as part of his creative masterpiece.

On my walk home (I took the long way around), an old Sunday school song came to my mind that I had not thought of in quite some time. The poignant verses to me are listed below:

This is my Father's world, and to my listening ears, All nature sings, and round me rings the music of the spheres. This is my Father's world: I rest me in the thought; Of rocks and trees, of skies and seas; His hand the wonders wrought.

This is my Father's world, the birds their carols raise, The morning light, the lily white, declare their Maker's praise. This is my Father's world: He shines in all that's fair; In the rustling grass I hear him pass; He speaks to me everywhere.

This is my Father's world. I walk a desert lone, In a bush ablaze to my wondering gaze God makes his glory known. This is my Father's world: A wanderer I may roam; Whatever my lot, it matters not; My heart is still at home.
-- Maltbie D. Babcock --

No comments: