Plans. Out the window.
That frees me up to spend more time focusing on other important parts of life. Mostly, to focus on my faith and the people around me who never cease to show their care and love; no matter how recently or long ago I last saw them. This week has been a concerted effort to catch up on birthday cards.
Yesterday I spent an evening out with my friend, Michelle, from elementary school. I love how we can still talk about life as good friends together. We had a great time talking about our lives over the past year together and the changes that were happening for each of us.
Prior to meeting her for dinner I spent a lazy and long afternoon in the Fairhaven district of Bellingham. I label this area as a restored eclectic, eccentric, relic of what once was. Old buildings bring character to the area and a fascinating mix of people add an abundance of diversity. The gorgeous weather recently made wandering through shops and the farmers market all the more marvelous.I found myself there after the mundane task of adding some air pressure to my tires to get out of the house and find some new space. I found a lovely little coffee spot; maybe even two of them, to visit on occasion. I let my thoughts run wild while journaling over a coconut mocha and a nanaimo bar (not entirely healthy, but otherwise pretty tasty, and if you haven't ever had one, put that on your own life's 'to-do' list; but not at this coffee shop because it wasn't the best one I've had).
This place in life right now feels surreal. On one hand, I am so alive; a willing and active participant in a colorful and vibrant world. On the other hand, as I sit and watch the earth move, I feel like I am viewing everything move in double time while I, personally, remain on pause. It's good to slow down. Perhaps this is what I was meant to find this whole time "off" I have been given.I recommend a book that has helped me appreciate the scope of God's love called The Shack. It's a novel, (controversial and downright frustrating among some who read it on a theological level), that brings a broken and sad man to God, in the form of an odd trinity of people (just keep in mind, the author wrote it as a novel and not to replace the truth of the Bible). It helped me realize that God is not keeping me from any particular job; in fact, he's got a door flung wide open to the place and position he wants me to be. While it is still disappointing to receive a negative response from someone regarding an interview or opportunity I looked forward to, I visualize myself leaving the threshold of that particular room and being pushed further down the hallway to something better; the place God has set aside for me to serve and glorify him.


No comments:
Post a Comment