The first stop was at the market where we were able to purchase a few paintings and some jewelry. It was hot and humid and all sorts of people were trying to sell us their art. We walked up and down the streets a couple times and then took off for a little shop, further down the road.
The Galata is an old wood house decorated with the arts and crafts that they sold. If I had a place to decorate and a home to move to, I would have loved to have purchased more here. The place was gorgeous and colorful. In the back was a nice stone table in the shade!From this little spot, we continued on to the grocery store. I was surprised at how clean and commercialized it was. I picked up some coffee and browsed through their products. Many of their grocery items are made in Brazil and printed in English, French, and sometimes Creole, but more often in another Arabic text. They had dried fish in their produce section and a few different cookies and candies, but the staples were there and many familiar brand names lined the shelves.
From the grocery store we went up to a cafe for lunch. The food was American and Lebanese in nature and had fantastic looking desserts and, more importantly, ice cream! The ice cream had to be a highlight of the day. I had two flavors; fruit du bois (forest fruit) and corosol (a spiny tropical fruit). Yum!


1 comment:
Corosol ice cream? Interesting.
The paintings look so amazing from the street view! I'm glad you invested in some.
What a cultured woman you are!
Post a Comment