2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Monday, June 9, 2008

my wonder years moment

The last half mile of my new jogging route is uphill in the sun; either way I run the loop. Even if I run slowly, it's a good challenge for me.

Today, as I headed into that last stretch home, I met a man. He was about 5 feet tall, slightly hunched over and walking on much less sturdy legs than mine. He had socks pulled up to his knees; nearly meeting his shorts and those big dark sunglasses over his regular prescription. He looked to be over 85 years old.

As I ran by, I smiled and said "hi." He smiled, lifted his hand in a wave, and replied, "You're doing great!" I offered a thanks, but felt like saying "You, Too!" And (here's the Wonder Years* moment), then I realized, everybody needs encouragement.

Some people need very little positive input, some people need it all the time. Some people need words, other people need hugs, and still others are happy with an affirmative smile. We are all working through life. Sometimes it is a hard life, some time we skate through parts of it. If this man is any indication, I have at least 55 years to get to his place in life, and he's still moving forward!

I like to label myself as independent and self-motivated, but when it comes right down to it, I need a lot of encouragement right now, in my third month of job seeking. I don't want people to ask how I'm managing, or what I've accomplished every day, or if I have any good leads, or what I intend to do next. Instead, in my friend, Emily's, words, I just want people to "hope" for me.

*Incidentally, I never cared much for the 1980's television show.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

All right, my turn. :) You are doing what you can, you are organized, you are on top of things. And you are a great candidate for anyone...so you know that the "right" people are going to find you. It sounds like you are doing everything right, so keep it up, and it WILL come soon!

Thanks for your note, by the way, and I am praying for you too. :)