2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Sunday, August 3, 2008

a relative experience

This weekend my cousins, Brad and Beth with their two kids came over to the West side of the state from Sunnyside, Washington. The occasion was the Pacific Northwest Antique Tractor show up in Lynden. However, they also used the trip to bring over a couple boxes of fresh apricots from Uncle Jim's farm. Those are quite tasty!

Typically, you would not see me at such an occasion, but it was fascinating to see the excitement people have over a piece of farm machinery that hasn't changed much over the years!

We walked through the acres of red, orange, yellow, green, blue, and rusted equipment. We took in antiques of all kinds and the blacksmith shop. We sat through a long tractor parade and then headed off for lunch at Jen and Aaron's house.

Shortly thereafter I headed back to the show for the main event; the tractor pull. I have never seen one of these events before and it was curious to watch the various drivers of all ages use different techniques to pull all sorts of weight up the dirt track.

In the end, I figure the tractor, again, still looks much like it did in the 30's when they first started being developed and used.

The weekend with family was nice. We went up to Lynden, again, to spend time with everyone for lunch today and enjoyed playing with the kids, making them smile, and hoping not to step on any toys or food on the floor! And, I have more-or-less potentially been commissioned to be the courier of pears in a few weeks. We will see if I can make that trip to Sunnyside in time for the harvest!

1 comment:

Kris said...

Looks like you are having a great time catching up with family and friends. What a blessing to have the time to spend touring your hometown. I know you are waiting for the next thing...but enjoy this, too! (can you hear the jealousy in my words?? hehe)