2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Friday, September 19, 2008

another day as a tourist

Before heading out the door today, I knew there was nothing to make me look "Brazilian." So, I accepted my roll as an American in Brazil with my capris and Keen sandals (which got all kinds of stares today). I suppose it should make me feel good that I occasionally get asked directions or approached by local folks; even though I just shrug my shoulders.

Today was another exploration day; a day to figure out the city and how things work and where things are. I slept in a little bit and eventually rolled out of bed to find breakfast downstairs. This was no
normal continental affair; no cereal and apples here. I saw a dozen kinds of pastries and baked goods, huge chunks of fruit, eggs, bacon, yoghurt, fresh juice, and my favorite, ham buns. And, I had some great, rich coffee, too.

It's
strange to be in a restaurant and not understand what anyone is saying. I’ve taken to a smile and a nod if anyone makes eye contact with me. Although, when I attempt to work at a few words, people get a huge grin on their face. It’s great!

Departing my hotel, I decided to browse around and window shop. I ended up in the Parque Trianon; a little jungle in the city. I even had a spider crawl up my leg while I was sitting there. The parks are very clean and well-cared for; a great reprieve from city traffic. This fountain could be turned on and off. I saw one man fill a bottle from it. The head appeared to be a dog. Dogs are plentiful around this city, so perhaps it's a dog-watering fountain. I don't really know.

The second photo is also in the Parque Trianon. I wish I could say this building is some architectural wonder, but it's really just the "sanitarios" (restrooms) in the park. The building caught my eye.

Shaun
and I arranged to meet at a Metra station, so I had my first experience on Sao Paulo’s subway. It went real well and I arrived some time before Shaun and picked up a cheese bun and shot of “cafĂ©” (shot of coffee for about US$0.30) from a street vendor. Both hit the spot. When Shaun arrived, we walked down to the huge, Parque Ibirapuera in the city that I will likely visit a time or two, again before I leave. There are a couple points of interest in the park and it’s the largest in Sao Paulo.

While wandering through the green space, Shaun recommended that I try coconut water. It’s a syrupy (but not sweet) drink made from coconut milk and water. Apparently, it’s packed full of vitamins and minerals. By the time I leave here, I will be full of those good things with all the fruit and juices I’m eating!

Some of the trees here leave their roots exposed. They put more and more roots out to find water and nutrients to help them grow. I couldn't resist taking a snapshot of one such tree in the park.


After wandering around the park and catching up with stories from Antarctica, Shaun and I walked back to the Metra station at Ana Rosa and left me to myself again. He’s an English teacher and works with businesses be
fore and after the typical workday. There's a restaurant here that I may use as a landmark since Shaun stopped for food there. They are Woody Woodpecker themed. The Brazilians have made this character famous still even as he’s lost popularity in The States.

Shaun pointed out a grocery store, and I dropped in there to pic
k up a few items and check out their selection. It was really interesting to make my way through the store and pick out what I needed. I found bread, tomato, and cheese and "pao multi-grano" ( multi-grain buns). When I went to check out, there were fresh sugar peas, some walnut flavored wafers, a bottle of water, a can of "Guarana Antarctica" (flavored pop; had to try it), and ½ dozen large brown eggs in my basket (the carton is printed in brale on the bottom and oozed with "green" recycle logos and "organic" claims). I felt satisfied with the grocery store experience.


I managed the Metra again on the way back toward my hotel and as I walked down the street saw a vendor selling corn off the cob. He cuts the corn off the cob and salts and butters it in a container so his customers can take it and eat it on the go. It costs about US$1.50. He was perfectly placed as I still had about 15 minutes to walk and was getting pretty hungry for dinner. I’m also finding myself prone to stopping and indulging in culture while I peruse the city.

I ventured out one more time to a store 1/2 block from my hotel to purchase a couple postcards. The three women there thought it was funny that I did not speak Portuguese and cut me a deal on the cards; called "cartao postal." It probably helped that as she wrote the words out on a receipt, I watched, and read them back to her.

No comments: