One is that crossing any street is a pretty perilous task. There are few pedestrian signals at intersections. Cars have the right of way, so it’s imperative that one looks in every possible direction before entering the street. Jay-walking is typical even if there is a pedestrian signal. I have been extra-cautious around crosswalks. I try to cross in crowds (a driver won’t plow over 10 people, right), or at least one other person who knows what they are doing.Some police here sit in booths at intersections to observe the traffic flow. The first one I saw from behind and I thought it might be someone operating the lights, but it’s actually a police officer monitoring the scene.
Many major companies hire security guards to watch their doors. This would be expected at banks and government buildings, I suppose, but I see them outside the bookstore, some clothing stores, and my hotel.
My Spanish, though not helping me with my conversation skills, has often aided me in reading signs and a few labels on packages at the grocer. I can get most of the headlines off of a newspaper. One in fact, Shaun inquired if I could interpret what the headline saidt was the number of vehicle-related deaths in the last year; many (some 700+) due to those perilous pedestrian crossings. I am encouraged by my language skills which I always consider “poor,” and I’m becoming much more confident that I would be able to get along extremely well in a Spanish-speaking country.
There’s a national election coming soon to


2 comments:
I heard on the radio today that Barak Obama is such popular name in Brazil that many candadites are running under that name, which apparently isn't illegal in Brazil....wondered if you saw any evidence of that? A. Faye
I'll have to keep my eyes open. There are A LOT of candidates here and I haven't paid attention to names much. I'll let you know what I find out!
Post a Comment