2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Saturday, September 6, 2008

good things

Here are a number of great things that happened on Thursday in British Columbia that made it a good day and a couple things that occurred since then to keep life interesting:

one. The weather was clear and amazing.

two. I arrived at my destination without getting lost. Because I often get lost in Vancouver, I carefully charted my directions in bright pink gel pen ink on my new area map. It worked. I was 45 minutes early.

three. When I arrived in the building of my meeting, I plopped down in a chair in the lobby and asked the UPS guy for the time. His answer told me I had 20 minutes. We chatted briefly and he eventually left, but came through the front glass doors a few minutes later to give me a 10 minute reminder and wish me luck at the interview. What can brown do for you?

four. I took the "grandma's kitchen" approach to my interview and I was less intimidated and nervous than usual. Using this approach, I visualized myself sitting in my grandma's comfortable, familiar, carpeted, brown and yellow-toned kitchen rather than the swanky office with crazy chairs and cool interior decoration in a trendy downtown high rise. It took the edge off.

five. I have run into my friend, Jenny, in three countries and a continent now. We've seen each other in Denver and Seattle in the United States, Christchurch in New Zealand, McMurdo Station in Antarctica, and now Vancouver in Canada. One of my stops in the afternoon was near her. She is studying at the University of British Columbia and I dropped in for coffee. She is a wonderful friend to meet up with all over the place!

six. After 15 years, or so, I also tracked down a great pen pal from camp, Maria. I enjoyed supper with she and her husband, Colin near the border on my way back to Bellingham. We had plenty to catch up on and I am excited to see her doing well in life. It gives me hope for my undefined future.

seven. Colin, Maria's husband, has decided to take up javelin throwing. Funny, since they never knew I threw javelin; and have coached, and could give him a couple pointers. We drove to his parents house where his new javelin is kept and tossed it around a bit. Very intriguing web we weave; and how sometimes it crosses in the most peculiar places.

eight. The recruiter, who I interviewed with on Thursday, had a job description to send for my perusal already on Friday. I have a good sense that he saw what direction I want to go in right now; even if my long term goals are a bit muddled in my own head sometimes. I should have met with him a long time ago.

nine. I booked a trip on my frequent flyer miles. No sense in being all talk and no action about it; I just did it. I have the time and I have the miles to use. I'm slightly nervous about the spontaneity of the adventure (I'm a planner at heart) and a little worried that my passport won't come back with the necessary visa on time (I'm really tight on time). So, I won't share anymore details until I know for certain that I will be admitted to the destination I've chosen.

ten. I am hopeful; at least for today.

1 comment:

Kelsey said...

fingers crossed & praying :)