2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Thursday, September 11, 2008

strange observations

Today I met a woman on the sidewalk who looked like a Christmas ornament on a 78F degree day in September. She had kelly green velvet spandex tights on bottom and a just-a-bit-too-short white shirt with little red and green designs on top. I smiled, said 'hello,' and kept walking.

Politically speaking, I have a lot of observations, but I decided not to post them here because I have a strong distaste for the political (muckraking) system as a whole.

Another realization today was that, while I can rather easily put my hope and trust in God to find me a place and job and plan, I have been turned down and put out so many times that I am expecting disappointment. I am anticipating his 'no, this isn't good for you right now' to every job I apply for, or prayer I send up.

Similarly, now that I've been unemployed for well over six months, I am observing that I have a new life experience to share with a group of people who I never cared to be a part of. I never completely understood how people who had been laid off, or found themselves out of work could struggle for so long without finding anything; and now I am that person. I expect that other folks think the same about me: What's taking her so long? I can assure you, it's not me; it's them (employers). I still do not entirely understand how or why it can take so long to find a job, but I do know there is no other option but to keep looking and trust God. I wish I were on the other side of this; already in my different place and time.

Today, at the coffee shop I observed: that the rich with boats and cottages complain about money, those with jobs express their dissatisfaction about work, those who have chosen to be involved with several groups and organizations complain that they cannot enjoy a spare moment of time (despite the fact that they are chatting at a coffee shop with a friend), and those who have fully functioning bodies complain about their noses or eyebrows or bellies or thighs. Basically, those who have been blessed seem to find (almost want to find) something to whine about amongst their blessings. So, I chose to "be still" today, realize God's goodness, and enjoy my "time off." I should do that more often; so should you.

2 comments:

Kelsey said...

Great observations from the coffee shop and so true...we are never quite satisfied with what we have. Thanks for the reminder to be thankful for what we DO have!

Jonathon and Katie said...

I could hook you up with a job just about anywhere. Unfortunately it requires exposure to many forms of bodily fluids. That's why I've never had a problem finding a job. If I sit down and think about what i have to do while at work, it's really quite disgusting and emotionally draining.