I joined she and her husband for church where the message began with a quote from Thomas Merton: "To hope is to risk frustration. Therefore, make up your mind to risk frustration." Frustration and hope; two concepts that I am most familiar with! That sort of clobbered me over the head as some heavy food for thought; although, I do not have to think long to know I have been so frustrated that I'm afraid to hope.
After the service, we had a mouthwatering breakfast of raspberry pancakes before heading off with her to Harrison; home of the hot springs.
The last time I had been up this direction was for our high school choir tour. I have pictures of us wandering around the lake between the mountains. The hot springs in the area have been funneled into a pool and are the very springs that one of my siblings decided to poop in at age one, or two. The entire pool was evacuated for cleaning. I remember I was learning to dog paddle that day with my friend, Nick, and brother, Matt.Maria and I did not visit the pool today, though. Instead we looked in on the sand castle contest that was still standing on the shores of the lake and took a brisk walk in some slightly rainy weather. The area is still gorgeous; even under a cloud cover and it was great to spend time with a friend again.
We arrived back in Abbotsford to a wonderful lunch of barbecued chicken and some fantastic bread with good family conversation all around me. I sure beat spending the afternoon cooking for myself again; although, I have eaten quite healthy this week. It's always nice to have company.
I am becoming rather attached to the idea of working north of the border. British Columbia has some amazing and spectacular scenery. Maria and I found this out when we failed to read the appropriate signs to put us back on the most direct road home. We certainly were not disappointed with our drive in the hills and along the Fraser River. The yellow trees, green grass and blues of the hills were quite vibrant when the sun peaked through the mostly-cloudy skies. The afternoon away made for a simply wonderful Sunday!


No comments:
Post a Comment