2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Wednesday, October 15, 2008

not where they are supposed to be

One of the ideas my new book gave me was to find things that are out of place in their surroundings. I have taken a few notes for a few days and here are some things that I came up with.

I found this maple leaf floating in the ocean. Streams and rivers team with autumn leaves, but I never pictured a deciduous leaf changing color in salt water!

...or how about a Rock festival in Antarctica. This article made the news in a popular magazine, Blender. It's pretty cool when I know all of the bands and all of the folks quoted here! But who would think there could be such a celebration outside on the earth's harshest continent?

...or, how about sitting in a coffee shop, trying to catch up on e-mails only to hear toddlers screaming, five kids running around between tables and chairs, and babies crying. I certainly don't mean to deter parents from stopping in for a coffee with their kids in tow, but I thought my cozy little coffee haven had turned into a nursery!

...or check out this telephone pole; completely overgrown in trees and bushes. The communication here is by tweet or chirp (and I'm not referring to nextel).

...or seeing litter in bushes and grass, wrapped around vines and floating down a river.

...or this crab, who may be in the right environment, but at some point, was in the wrong place at the wrong time; no life here.

This sort of reflects my life right now. I feel misplaced, unglued, and a misfit in my environment. But, there's a reason and purpose behind this time. The only thing I can do is pick my head up, put the past seven months behind me, and continue to walk forward.

No comments: