2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Thursday, October 16, 2008

flaming accusations

I have remained undecided on my vote for the Presidency. While I am leaning one way, I have decided not to let on who I will vote for because I know people on both sides of the ticket who would argue wildly with my decision. I dislike discussing politics. I don't want to argue. I don't want to get e-mails from anyone trying to swing my vote. There.

On a separate note, directed to my Christian friends: I have to say that I am disappointed to be a Christian in light of some of the comments coming from my more stereotypically white, conservative, Christian friends. I detest the fact that people can think to call Obama the anti-christ, or a Muslim, or someone who will only hurt the country, or bring destruction. What provokes you? He has proclaimed that he is a Christian man. I disagree with some of his political positions (particularly as a pro-life advocate), but that absolutely does not give me right to judge his Christian faith.

In a perfect Christian world, we would be able to confront him personally with our concerns and challenge his beliefs. That is what I intend to do in this blog: Challenge your judgemental attitudes.

I am embarrassed because, as a Christian community, we are to show love to everyone. Instead what I see coming out of some people's mouths are words of distaste, libel, and hate towards Obama that do not render good will or any sort of grace that we should generously give to all God's people.

I challenge you to use the same words, the same confrontational tactics, face-to-face to any sinning member of your church community (there are a lot of folks to use this on; since we all fall short). Tell them, to their face, that they are the anti-christ, call them a Muslim, or Buddhist, Jew, or Baha'i, because of the way they look, walk, or talk; even after they've told you they are a Christian. Or, tell them that their efforts to improve their workplace, their community, or their country will be condemnable because you disagree with how they understand an issue or have sought to solve a problem.

If Barack Obama is the leader our country elects, it's by God's grace that he will be in office. We are called to respect those in power; whether it be Bill (or Hillary) Clinton, George Bush, John McCain, or Barack Obama. We are fortunate, as Christians, to have two Christ-seeking candidates running for our nations highest office. They are asking God for direction as any Christian would. Each candidate's motivations are his best effort at understanding what God wants for his life and this country. We can criticize viewpoints and question tactics, but do not personally attack men who are Christ followers.

Obama has made it clear that he is a Christian. His family prays together. They attend church regularly. If elected, it does not mean that power won't go to his head. It doesn't mean he will make the perfect decisions, or has the ideal perspective. I guarantee John McCain will fall short in these areas, as well, if he is elected. Both candidates are fallen. We see that in their attack ads and their messy debates. Each of us is fallen, too.

and the problem is this:
we were bought with a kiss
but the cheek still turned even when it wasn't hit
and I don't know what to do with a love like that

when all the love in the world is right here among us;
and hatred too
so we must choose what our hands will do

and the problem it seems is with you and me
not the Love who came to repair everything

where there is pain, let there be grace
where there is suffering, bring serenity
for those afraid, help them be brave
where there is misery, bring expectancy
and surely we can change something...

...the whole world's about to change.
-- surely we can change, david crowder band --

Use your vote. Be careful in your judgement. Do not gossip, or give false impressions about your brothers and sisters in Christ. Seek to build them up; however humble and fallen they may be.

I'm getting off my soap box now.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well done.

Anonymous said...

You go, girl! What an excellent rant to everyone. I applaud you because you actually put it into words. I don't like to discuss politics either. Usually whatever I say is never what someone else believes so I just avoid it. Good job!

Jonathon and Katie said...

I love your soap box. I just recently emailed my opinions to a close friend in the Netherlands who is having a little trouble sorting the truth and lies of this election. I completely agree with what you said, ALL of it. I get very frustrated with people who vote without truly knowing WHO and WHAT they're supporting. I believe everyone should vote; but everyone should also take some time away from sitcoms and educate themselves on the candidates. I think I'm going to blog on this myself.