2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Friday, October 3, 2008

pick me, pick me

By the numbers:

This morning I woke up to the wonderfully dismal news that the unemployment numbers have remained the same in the United States this month, but there are 156,000 fewer jobs out there. Strangely enough, I have found more positions to apply for this week than any other so far. From now on I've decided that for every one I apply for, I'm going to yell, "pick me, pick me" at the computer screen as the application is submitted. I'm sure that will work!

I've been searching for work for more than SIX months. I've applied for something like 142 jobs (give an extra one, or five, that I forgot to document). This week I had 17 contacts (e-mails exchanged, or jobs applied for) in FOUR countries. TWO companies had contacted me this week about potential interviews for THREE different positions, but I'm still in limbo or not expecting to hear back on those. I still have ONE head and it still appears to be attached to my shoulders, but sometimes I feel like it's rolled off so no one can see that I have a useful brain.

Cynicism aside, the process is getting quite long and drawn out. I awkwardly fluctuate between freedom and peace about it all, and then swing to frustrated hopelessness. If you have time for a phone call (preferably after 7pm Pacific time or weekends--so I can save my minutes for phone interviews), or to drop me an e-mail, it is usually the best part of my day! Thanks to those folks who have extended a line recently, or made time for a walk, or lunch!

No comments: