2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Thursday, October 2, 2008

some thoughts

I never did find my Brazilian coffee beans to bring back; it seems that they ship most of their premium crops out of the country (it's a huge export), and while the coffee shops do a good job serving their cafe, it's difficult to find the whole beans. I came back with far fewer souvenirs for my family and friends than I had intended and I never got the sticker for my water bottle. I did, however have a fantastic trip to reclaim some of my independence, and find some brand new amazing stories to tell. I learned to speak my language much more clearly and slowly, and to travel respectfully in someone else's land.

I also took home a very important understanding of prayer. I prayed for a lot of little, and sometimes inconsequential things while I was there. Some were for safety, some for finding a hotel room, some for getting tickets, or arriving on time, or finding my way somewhere, or communicating with someone, or being able to find a cash machine, or internet access. The list of little prayers whispered up to God goes on and on.

In each of these prayers God answered me. He provided every step of the way. He allowed me to find an adventure around nearly every corner. Sometimes he answered them right away and sometimes he let me sweat it out. Still other times he rerouted my plans and made my experience much more meaningful.

I feel like part of the reason I went on this trip was so that I could apply these little traveling mercies to my bigger journey of finding a new place and job. He certainly hasn't answered my prayers immediately and has me anxious and downright frustrated at times. But, he is still there. He's got something planned, and it will be by God's grace that I find a job when his timing is right.

I pulled out some old cards and letters today and found a brilliant card from my friend, Erin. The first year I went to Antarctica, she sent me this great expression of what I had done with my life. I went from a structured and organized life in the Chicago area to a new colorful adventure in Antarctica (and beyond). I pulled it out at exactly the right time; it was a super reminder that I have been able to color my life with a wealth of experiences in places and with people I never would have encountered had I stayed in Illinois. It makes this time of waiting in life much more palatable. I would not change the way anything has come to pass.

1 comment:

Kris said...

Hey girl! I haven't read in a while, so I was catching up on your trip! It sounds amazing.
ps. I'm glad you live a colorful life!