Recently, I have been reflecting on the art of gift-giving and, more pertinent to my place in life, receiving.I was a pretty good volleyball player in junior high and high school. Often times, after games people would give me compliments and I would brush them off or bring up all the errors I could think of. Finally, one evening, my dad told me that I should say 'thank you' and accept the compliment.
You would think I learned my lesson about being a gracious recipient from that point on; and it certainly gives me reason to pause and appreciate what other people give to me. However, I have walked around with a conception throughout my life that it's ok for me to extend myself toward others, but I don't need to receive anything back.
I love to send notes and letters. I feel guilty about how many birthday cards I am sending with 'belated' wishes, or not at all. I know what it feels like to get a "real" piece of mail in the post. I like to send thoughts, prayers, wishes.
But, here I am, more recently, learning again, to be so grateful for a little encouraging e-mail I might receive, for all the people who have let me stay in their home for a night, or a week, or more, for the occasion to have lunch out with a friend, or for the Starbucks card that shows up in the mail, or stopping by some one's house for an hour, or a few. It is certainly nice to be thought of; nice to know people take time to remember me. Instead of feeling bad that someone went out of their way for me, I remember what I feel like when I give something to someone else. We are blessed to bless others.
This concept was emphasized on Sunday when we were all given a challenge to bless others because we are blessed, based on Matthew's Great Commission. This also ties in with "to whom much is given, much will also be required," and the concept of philanthropy or tithing. When we are endowed with gifts or treasures, we should give back.
One more thing I found valuable last Sunday: Jesus uses the broken people in the Bible; he also uses us.


No comments:
Post a Comment