Weddings: This summer, with some relief, I have not been invited to one of these events. That means, no wedding presents, no new dresses for the occasion, no worrying about whether I should hope to RSVP for one or two guest and trying to muster up a "date," no critiquing invitations and programs in my head, no following mixed up directions, and no awkward conversation at the table of misfit guests.
I really do enjoy going to weddings. I love watching my friends, with smiles on their faces, and hope in their hearts, exchange their vows and begin a life together. I hope, someday, I find a man to share that day with and to throw a fantastic party for the people who care about us.
The wedding reception, however, can be a different story; especially when I'm on my own and don't know many people. I recently finished Lauren Winner's book, Girl Meets God. I'm not quite as cynical as she, but I definitely see her point! She puts weddings this ways:
May inaugurates the season of weddings. I gear up for one a week for the rest of the summer. These weddings are fine when you're dating someone you think you might marry, because you daydream the whole time about your own wedding with him. You feel soft and hopeful and excited. When, however, the last man to kiss you was your dad, then the weddings get to be rather a drag...This, I think, is what happens next. First, all you friends get married, then they all start having babies...I will become a regular at Baby Gap.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)


3 comments:
Um, I totally agree! This year I have 4 weddings, last year 4, the year before 6, and the year before that 3. I've truly enjoyed maybe 3 of those weddings total. I've been a bridesmaid twice and am at the point where I skip part or all of the reception. Because apparently around here, when you invite your single friends to your wedding, you don't invite them to bring a guest. I'm not joking. I have not had a single invitation that said "plus guest" on it! NOT A SINGLE ONE! So even if I didn't want to, I had to go solo. Which isn't fun.
And FYI, I've been following your blog all along... not to be creepy stalker or anything. I enjoy what you have to say.
hahaha... I remember those days!!
Would you believe that there may be a time in a few years where you wouldn't mind going to a wedding? We average one every other year now. :)
I don't mind not going to weddings, either. It's difficult after having gone through a divorce. I have been to maybe 3 weddings in the last seven years and have found myself sitting there and wondering if this couple might be divorced in the future. It's a terrible thought, I know, but then again, I never expected that I would be divorced. My perspective on weddings has definitely changed, maybe for the worse, though I wish it hadn't. I like the whole fairy-tale, happily-ever-after idea, but I have realized that it never comes true for so many people. (Sorry for my cynical thoughts of the day.)
Post a Comment