One unexpected treat I found along the way was in a small town restaurant, in Australia's tropical fruit region, where Storey and I stopped for a late breakfast one morning. After waiting a few minutes for them to open, we walked through a stubborn screen door into the one-room establishment and found they had grilled pineapple and avocado sandwich with mozzarella cheese. I'm a huge fan of grilled cheese and tomato and I love avocado sandwiches, but had never thought to put pineapple on my sandwich (except in the case of the Bonzai Burger at Red Robin). I tried it and like my tasty little meal, so I made one yesterday for myself. If you're in the mood to try something fresh and a bit different, I'd highly recommend this healthy sandwich!If you're wondering how to easily cut an avocado, Storey gave me a quick lesson in serving it up with next-to-no mess. First, cut the avocado in half from top to bottom, around the pit. Then make vertical slices in each half of the avocado about 1/4 inch apart down to the peel. Then gently squeeze the outside of the peel until the slices slide out. Voila!


2 comments:
Ah Vegemite! I remember that. Our Australian foreign exchange student brought some with her when she came and raved about it, but hardly ate any of it the whole time she lived with us. I tried it, but can't say I liked it. Do you know that vegemite is mentioned in a "Men At Work" song? I always chuckle when I hear their reference to a vegemite sandwich. Do you like vegemite?
OH, you tease, you tease. You eat some of le coolest foods, lady! You make healthy eating seem so simple. But there's chocolate to be had, A!
Post a Comment