2009.
To each their own adventure.
Below you'll find a little about mine. Keep in touch and tell me about your life's journey, too!

Monday, December 29, 2008

cold coastline

After a quick stop to see Dan and Karen, I spent a couple extra hours driving toward the Pacific Ocean. The sun was out and the weather was predicted to stay moderately warm; considering it is December. So, I quickly found the San Simeon State campground I intended to stay at north of Cambria, pitched my tent and went off to enjoy the last few hours of daylight.

Cambria is near the famous Hearst Castle. I have seen television documentaries on this mansion, and my mom had talked about it once or twice when I was younger, so I drove up to the visitor's center and nosed around a bit. The tours were booked up for the evening, so I did not get to visit the actual castle, or see the zebras still roaming the grounds, but I did enjoy the view.

I drove from there to numerous view points on the beaches; watching the sun fall into the Pacific Ocean and talking with a few folks on the way about what they had done on their travels. At one point, I got pulled over by a policeman for going 73 in a 55mph zone. I told him I was watching the sunset and not paying attention to my speed, so after he did a background check and made me promise not to drive so fast and use their pullouts to look at the sunset, he let me off. I drove slowly after that!

In Cambria, I found a grocery store and picked up a couple items to cook for supper. Upon returning to the campground, I couldn't start my stove. I had a fuel leak. I learned out to disassemble my MSR Whisperlite in Antarctica though as part of our Happy Camper, or Snow School course. So, I took the entire works apart, didn't find anything wrong with it, and put it all back together again. It worked then.

I was awfully cold when I crawled into my sleeping bag, but the weather forecast predicted low, 40F degree temperatures. When I woke up the next morning, though, I new why my toes were numb. I had a solid layer of frost on the outside of my tent and frozen condensation on the inside. This wasn't nearly as cold as Laura's overnight at the South Pole, but certainly a bit chilly for someone who was not expecting to freeze!

2 comments:

Angie said...

Good job on getting yourself pulled over.

But better job at fixing your stove! I hope you have put that skill on your resume...

Kerri said...

As much as I'm already in camping withdrawal (happens every year about this time), I'm not sure I'd be up for a frosty camp out! You're brave! I hope you regained feeling in your toes eventually!